On Thursday March 23rd, the Global Digital Health Network held a webinar on the lessons from the Access to Infant and Maternal Health Plus Project.
The Access to Infant and Maternal Health Plus Project (AIM Health Plus) was a multi-year community-based health and nutrition programme implemented by World Vision and supported by Irish Aid. The programme addressed the most common causes of preventable deaths during pregnancy, childbirth and early childhood until its closure in December 2022. The approach strongly supported community health worker (CHW) programming by strengthening their counseling skills, case tracking and reporting capabilities by equipping them with a digital health application running on the CommCare platform.
In this webinar, the panelists shared a brief summary of the results of the programme’s digital health component and its link with maternal and child health outcomes in the four sub-Saharan countries where it was implemented—Mauritania, Sierra Leone, Tanzania and Uganda. This was followed by a panel discussion with key representatives from the World Vision implementation teams and government counterparts in Sierra Leone and Uganda, the two AIM Health Plus countries with the most extensive digital health experience. Panelists reflected on sustaining partnerships, achieving interoperability, and other ways of building towards the long-term success of digital health programmes as part of strengthening CHW programmes and primary health care services more broadly.
- Loria Kulathungam, Knowledge Management and Capability Advisor, Health and Nutrition, World Vision International
- Andrew Ogongo, MSc, Senior Programme Manager, D4D and Innovation, World Vision International
- Dr. Annette Ghee, MPH, PhD, Evidence Building Contractor, World Vision International
- Saffa Andrew Koroma, MPH, MBA, BSc: Technical Health and Nutrition Program Manager, World Vision Sierra Leone
- Benon Musasizi, BSc HND, MPH, Technical Program Manager Health and Nutrition, World Vision Uganda
- Dr. Prince Elogima Kpundeh Masuba, MBChB, MIPH, District Medical Officer Bo, Sierra Leone
- Sr. Benah Nanyama, BSc, MPH, Assistant District Health Officer – Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health and Nursing, Busia district, Uganda
· Download/View the presentation slides: https://www.globaldigitalhealthnetwork.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/GDHN-March-2023-Webinar-AIM-Health-Plus-World-Vision.pdf
· View the recording of the webinar via the GDHN YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSfEwY55YLY&authuser=0
· Download the AIM Health Plus Digital Health Brief here: https://www.worldvision.ie/about/publications/aim-health-plus-digital-health-brief/
· Find out more about World Vision’s work in digital health, including factsheets for each of the four AIM Health Plus countries: https://www.wvi.org/digital-health-in-action